Monday, April 21, 2008

Darn Pasover...

Okay, so when I am at home, when a Jewish holiday rolls around, I usually am celebrating it and following the rituals associated with it. For example, when it is Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), I fast on the fast day. Currently, I am not at home. This year, I did not fast on Yom Kippur because I honestly forgot. Unfortunately, I did remember that this week is Passover, so I am attempting to eat semi-Kosher for Passover. I could do more, but since I don't even really want to do this in the first place, I find it special that I put any effort into trying to not eat meat with dairy or eat leavened foods or any of the other rules that I normally don't follow. There were just too many things reminding me that it was Passover. When I am at home, it's okay, because my parents buy matzah and celebrate by depraving ourselves of the foods we love the same as me. Unfortunately, here, I do not have all of the things I would have at home, such as matzah or other people that are keeping Kosher for Passover. See, I love eating non-Kosher. I used to love eating food in general, just loving all types of foods, but then I went to a Jewish school where I was forced to eat Kosher throughout the day. I normally would eat Kosher before, but I would like eating meat every once in a while, like once per week or something, however since our school is a dairy school, then I was limited to meat maybe once a month at most. Because of that, I love to eat things that are specifically not Kosher at many opportunities. When I have a choice between chicken, beef or pork, I'll often go for the pork. For some reason, it just tastes better to me. So you can probably see my dilemma as I love eating non-Kosher at many times, and with the way that I am trying to eat Kosher for Passover, I am going to go for a long time without eating foods I love. Oy. At least I have some chocolate matzot that my mom sent me. Still, I wish that people hadn't reminded me that it was Passover. I am Jewish, but I am also Hawaiian and us Hawaiians love our Spam (yes, Spam, we love it, shut up) and Kalua Pig. When I get home, I am going to my Hawaiian place (Da Hukilau, which has locations in San Francisco, San Jose and Palo Alto and one actually in Hawaii) and getting myself Spam Musubi (you have to try it to believe it, it is amazing and I love Spam Musubi) and Kalua Pig Cheese Fries. Honestly, I have two different types of pig, with cheese. Pretty non-Kosher (okay, if something is non-Kosher, it can't be more non-Kosher, there aren't actually degrees of Kashrut, but you get the idea) and I love it. See, I love eating non-Kosher, so this Passover is killing me. ARRRRRGHHHH!

No comments:

slots
web counter