Friday, May 2, 2008

Metroid

You may not know this if you only know me from VS, but I am a humongous Metroid and Samus Aran fan, and I have loved playing the games. I first played Super Metroid for some random reason on an SNES emulator, and I was amazed. It is an amazing game that requires a lot of skill and thinking. Aside from just fast reflexes, you have to actually solve puzzles and find the next place you have to go. When Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion came out, I played Fusion on an emulator (I seem to do that a lot, don't I?) and liked it, but it isn't nearly as good as Super Metroid and didn't quite capture the feel of Super Metroid. Prime, I was against. I hate first-person shooters, I really do. I just don't see the appeal, and I was against actually playing Prime. I had gotten a free Metroid Prime t-shirt for subscribing to Nintendo Power, and wore it, but didn't want to play the game. When my friend got it and showed me that it was more like a Metroid game and less like a first person shooter. Basically, Metroid Prime is an action-adventure game from the first person perspective while you shoot things with a gun (arm cannon, but whatever). It is definitely a Metroid game and is very much not a first person shooter. When I got the game (at the cheaper price, since it had become a Player's Choice by that time), I was hooked. It became one of my favorite video games ever. When there was all the hype for Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, I was psyched because Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was coming out. I looked at random gaming magazines (mostly in the waiting room of my orthodontist) and the reviews were basically saying Halo 2, GTA:SA and Prime 2: Echoes all got 9+ out of 10 scores. Unfortunately, one of those games was a lot less popular than the others. Echoes is an amazing game and I loved how it added a Dark World and Light World with completely unique beams and visors. As opposed to the previous game, which had its weaponry mostly based off of Super Metroid (you have an X-Ray visor, you have wave beams, ice beams, plasma beams, missiles, super missiles, space jump, grappling beam, Varia Suit, Gravity suit etc), this had mostly new stuff (like the Dark visor, Echo visor, Dark beams, Light beams, Annihilator beams, Dark Suit, Light Suit, Gravity Boost, etc) and it still felt like a Metroid game. One awesome thing about Metroid games to me is the bosses, especially in Prime and Prime 2. I do find it really annoying that the third to last boss in each game is the most impressive. In Prime, the Omega Pirate is easily the most difficult boss in the game, whereas Ridley and Metroid Prime aren't as difficult. In Echoes, Quadraxis isn't necessarily the hardest, but the most annoying, and the most awesome. Basically, Quadraxis is a giant security robot. By giant, I don't mean 7 feet tall or 10 feet tall. I mean, at least 3 stories tall. You are literally fighting a guy as big as a building. It is an amazing fight and incredibly fun, and it is annoying to take him out. Next time you go outside, look up at a 3 story building. I mean, go right up to next to it and look to the roof. That is how the game makes you feel. Now, imagine the building is attacking you. That is how scary it is to fight Quadraxis. Anyway, I just was mentioning this, because I was playing Prime again, and the Omega Pirate is still ridiculously annoying.

No comments:

slots
web counter