Thursday, October 16, 2008

October 15 comics

I know, I know, it didn't go up yesterday. Yesterday had the preview and I didn't want either to try to overshadow the other, so it is just right here today.

Ultimate Origins 5



Basic Plot: Uatu talks through Sue and you see the past.

For some reason, I kept reading this. Maybe because it was a mini-series and I thought I could tough it out. Maybe because other people were praising it, both story and artwise. Personally, I disliked it. Some parts were okay, but overall, I just straight up didn't like it. I don't like the art. It is too scratchy, stiff and awkward for me. Oh, and I hate retconning. Hate it. One of the reasons I read Marvel over DC. This was, well, just bad. Retconning into Nick Fury being from WWII and a supersoldier? Retconning into mutants having been created by man? Retconning into Magneto being the son of people involved with the mutant conspiracy? Retconning Ultimate Magneto (a darker, more murderous version of 616 Magneto) into a nicer person? All stupid ideas to me. Sigh... Oh, and the ending? Well, as much as I loved seeing Rick Jones flash on the screen in Hulk for a second (at most), I think that he wasn't that great a character. I guess I never read Avengers during the Kree-Skrull war, when he saved everybody, and stuff like that, but I never particularly liked Rick Jones. It is amusing to see him in the Ultimate Universe, but honestly, it seems kind of stupid as the big finale.

Astonishing X-Men 27


Basic Plot: The X-Men try to figure out what the box is and what it has to do with Tian.

I don't know about other people, but I love this series. Sure, not as much as when it was Whedon and Cassaday (along with Kitty and Colossus, as opposed to Storm and Armor), but it is still good. Ellis is making this really fun to read. There is a fair amount of humor and Bianchi's art is still really amazing and I love it. I mean, it has Cyclops saying stuff like,"Logan, this is us. The 'bad old days' could be as recent as three weeks ago." and "I swear to you, I will cut your head off and hide the ****ing body if that's what it takes to keep S.W.O.R.D., business out of mutant affairs, because I am done with this--" to Agent Brand, being interrupted by Beast and Abigail wondering why Scott just said "****ing" to his "xenophiliac experimentation partner/girlfriend." It is just a fun and amusing comic. Cyclops is more awesome here than anywhere else (aside form the Whedon Astonishing X-Men) and everything is so awesome.

Secret Invasion: Front Line 4


Basic Plot: All of the survivors gather and wait.

I guess I am missing the point. What is so great about SI: Front Line? I liked the other two Front Lines, for Civil War and WWH, and the Decimation mini-series with Sally Floyd. This just isn't as interesting to me. Is it because the others showed how superhero fights mess up people's lives and this shows that sometimes people fuck each other up more. I mean, sure Skrulls attacked people, but not that many, mostly because they want people to embrace change, whereas the gang in the subway just attacked people. Maybe I don't like it as much because it doesn't as much show the indomitable strength of people and their reactions, but that people are fucked and that the Skrulls aren't doing anything to them that is worse than they do to themselves. This just wasn't as interesting a series to me as to others. Oh, and look! They are at Central Park for the final showdown. Huh...
Amazing Spider-Man 573




Basic Plot: Spidey goes after the Green Goblin as Anti-Venom goes after the Thunderbolts.

Oh, fuck yeah! I have been wanting this since, well, since the beginning of Civil War. When Civil War started, Spidey got sucked into it, and everything he did related to it, and until OMD, he was sucked into the greater MU and trying to deal with it. As interesting as that can be (not saying it was all bad), but I love Spidey being by himself, having his fun solo adventures. And against classic Spidey villains. BND was okay all in all. There were some good stuff, some bad stuff, and mostly meh stuff. My three main complaints were that the stories were too quick (3 issues at max), that the creative teams changed too quickly (again, 3 issues) and that there were too many new, crappy villains. This was 6 issues (a good length) with the same creative team the entire time (a good creative team) and had the Green Goblin. Sure, Menace at the beginning, and it had the new people, but all in all, it boiled down at the end to Spidey vs the Green Goblin. Man... This was awesome. For those people who like Spider-Man, I highly recommend New Ways to Die. It is great.

Mighty Avengers 19


Basic Plot: Noh-Varr looks for a sign and Khn'nr tries to deal with thinking he is Mar-Vell.

Meh. I was looking forward to this to an extent. But it didn't really do anything for me in the end. Noh-Varr seems interesting, and Mar-Vell, I mean Khn'nr, seems interesting, but this wasn't. Mostly, it's Khn'nr frekaing out and flying about. There is way too much text in some parts (annoying to read that much for such a small amount of pictures) and none in others, leading me to believe it easily could have been spaced out more, and that would have been better. The art wasn't great (Pham is okay, but not especially good) either, so all in all, this was just kind of meh.

Guardians of the Galaxy 6


Basic Plot: The Skrulls revealed!

Oh, Drax, you silly, silly individual. How do you tell who's a Skrull? Kill everyone, at least, for 90 seconds, then bring everyone back to life. Ah, Cosmo. He has such a hard job. Adam Warlock attacks, and he uses his powers to make Adam realize these are Skrulls that are traitors to their own kind. Then Drax and Quasar attack, and he has to make them realize. Then the Luminals attack, and well, you get the point. All in all, not much happened that was interesting. Well, the team broke up when they realized Mantis had manipulated them, but who didn't see that coming? Oh well. I just want more Drax. If I have more Drax, I'll be fine.

No comments:

slots
web counter