Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Comics I'm getting on 6/9

Yay, first week back in San Francisco! Time to get comics from comic stores I know, and heck, it's much harder to miss stuff because there are so many other comic stores I can go to if one doesn't have what I'm looking for. Anyway, I've mentioned how it works, but I'll look at comics I am getting and ones I am not.


Deadpool Corps #3
My favorite ongoing series right now, hands down. And it has Liefeld art. That should tell you how good the writing is. Now, I know Liefeld isn't the greatest artist ever, but let me defend him. He worked in a time where what he was doing was good, and he did a lot of it. There's a lot of flaws in his artwork, sure, but it still is decent. Yes, he doesn't necessarily draw feet well, or weapons, he loves pouches and blah blah blah. I can read stuff with his artwork and be okay. The characters are what make me love Deadpool Corps, especially Dogpool (who is closing in on Deadpool in my favorite character list) and Lady Deadpool (who is like Deadpool, but somehow even more messed up). It's a series where the Champion of the Universe, a being with absurd strength who fought so many heroes with superhuman strength in a row and beat them all, is mooned by Deadpool, then stranded on an alien world without his motorcycle that he uses to fly from planet to planet, then joins up as an honorary Deadpool and gets stranded a second time by the Corps. It's just awesome.

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War #1
The second of two Deadpool series coming out this week, WWW is a mini-series that looks interesting, delving into Deadpool's past, kind of. Swierczynski seems to know the character, so I'm looking forward to it. Plus, I like Pearson's art, so that should be good. Besides that, it's Deadpool. Moving on.

Heroic Age: Prince of Power #2
Man, Amadeus Cho is awesome. The last issue was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing Cho at least argue with Thor, if he doesn't come to blows with him like on the cover. Pak and Van Lente did a great job with all the Herc stuff, and I am looking forward to this issue.

Millar & McNiven's Nemesis #2
The first issue of the series was okay at best. I love Millar, but I think some of this "people who dress up like superheroes/villains in the real world" is getting out of hand. Kick-Ass was great and I loved it, but I still find Hit-Girl and Big Daddy unrealistic. I mean, Kick-Ass was very believable, as this kid who just loved superheroes and had this crazy notion put into his head, and he did everything he could to fight crime. And, well, he sucked at it, because he had no powers or training, and didn't even strike fear into the hearts of the cowardly and superstitious criminals. That made sense. Big Daddy and Hit-Girl killing all of those people was not as realistic. Nemesis is like Big Daddy and Hit-Girl, in that he does things that shouldn't be possible in real life, but does them anyway even though it is seemingly set somewhere without powers. Still, I love Millar, and this has potential.

Young Allies #1
I like Gravity. That's it.

Secret Six #22
Hey, the only DC I pick up is coming out! Awesome. Seriously, though, Simone is a fantastic writer doing an amazing job on this series. In general, I'd just recommend this series to anyone who wants some fun characters doing crazy things who are all technically villains.

COMICS I AM NOT GETTING

Avengers Academy #1
I like McKone's artwork. I really do. I think McKone is awesome. But this is basically the continuation of Avengers: The Initiative, just in the Heroic Age, and that series got worse as time went on. The first year was awesome. Then it just went downhill. I honestly didn't care for it that much at the end. So, I'm not going to get this which looks like it has brand new characters, who I care nothing about, and I am not getting all the Heroic Age tie-ins like I did Initiative tie-ins.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2
Man, I hate typing S.H.I.E.L.D. because of the periods that technically are part of the name. I'm calling it just SHIELD, okay? Okay. I didn't get the first issue because it looked stupid. This feels like Ultimate Origins or whatever it was called, with the origin of mutants in the Ultimate universe, just for regular Marvel, which makes it so much worse, considering all the time-travel and stupid stuff done in regular Marvel. This just shouldn't be. I've heard great things, but it just looks stupid. SHIELD had Imhotep and Leonardo da Vinci? It just looks stupid. Stupid.

X-Men Forever 2 #1
I honestly like Chris Claremont. Apparently, he got worse or something, because I've heard almost nothing good about X-Men Forever, and heard mostly bad things about it. I just didn't care initially, almost getting it because of Kitty Pryde. I just don't care enough to get the first series or this. It just isn't high enough on my radar.

No comments:

slots
web counter