Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prop 8

For my preview card of Extended Monologue, I told people to vote, but I didn't give an opinion on who or what to vote for, as I don't feel I should tell people who or what to vote for, as long as they get their decision heard. In reality, though, I was all for Barack Obama. I am glad he was elected, although Californians really disappointed me. I mean, come on! How did Prop 8 pass? This is how I believe people should be:
Have your own thoughts about what you like and don't like. If you like people of the same gender, go ahead and do that with other people of the same gender. If you like people of the opposite gender, go ahead and do that with people of the opposite gender. If you like believing that there is a God, or gods, go ahead and do that. If you don't believe in deities, then don't. I could come up with more, but I hope you get the point.
BUT, don't force your opinions upon other people. I personally don't believe that there is a God (or gods), as I have not seen proof, and I would like proof for there to be a God. I don't care if you believe, though. If you believe in God, go ahead and believe in God. If you think your belief allows you to affect my life, then I have an issue with you. Now, in the Torah, there are 7 Noahide Laws, which are the laws that God gave to Noah after the flood that everybody would have to obey.
  1. Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
  2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder.
  3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
  4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit adultery.
  5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
  6. Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
  7. Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.
Personally, I think that the 1st and 5th aren't necessary, although I can see them as "Do not try and have your religion above someone else's" and "Do not disrespect someone else's religion." Also, I see 4 as "Do not cheat on people (not just sexually, but just as a general)" and 6 as "Do not be cruel." Still, basically, I think that these are the only rules that apply to everybody. Everything else should pretty much be okay (in general). That being said, I like that Judaism doesn't try to convert people or make them think that they are wrong and that if they don't chosse Judaism, then theny will burn. If you follow these laws, and aren't Jewish, you are a good person that will be saved in the afterlife. Nice concept.
I hate how people deny gay marraige because they feel it will somehow affect them. Two men getting married won't make your marraige null and void. You can still date people of the opposite gender. What, they will teach about it in schools? Come on! Personally, I am offended if they would teach that there is only one way to live. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

"It protects our children
from being taught in public schools that "same-sex marriage" is the same as traditional marriage."

"If the gay marriage ruling is not overturned, TEACHERS COULD BE REQUIRED to teach young children there is no difference between gay marriage and traditional marriage."

"We should not accept a court decision that may result in public schools teaching our kids that gay marriage is okay. That is an issue for parents to discuss with their children according to their own values and beliefs. It shouldn't be forced on us against our will."

These are all quotes directly from the arguement for. They are also all bullshit. Aside from that Prop 8 didn't do that, gay marraige being taught in schools is something I think should happen. I kind of want to just teach my child that gay marraige is right and that traditional marraige is wrong. But I live in a society where most people are straight, and most relationships in the media are straight. What can I do? Sigh, I am ranting, I really should stop.

People, stop being stupid. Seriously.

No comments:

slots
web counter